In this paper 14 NGOs, including ActionAid, provide recommendations to International Partnerships Commissioner Jutta Urpilainen on how she can use the European Green Deal to address the climate and biodiversity emergencies while better supporting people living in poverty in the Global South.
Some of the recommendations include:
• Raising domestic ambition to reduce emissions and the EU’s global footprint;
• A human rights based approach which puts communities at the heart of environmental and development efforts;
• Dramatically scaled-up sources of public climate and environmental finance;
• Supporting an institutional approach to loss and damage finance, and scaled-up financial support for mitigation, adaptation and environmental action;
• A renewed Partnership and Comprehensive Strategy with Africa which is founded on principles of climate and environmental action and achieving Agenda 2030;
• Strengthening participation of civil society in all EU development efforts.