This ActionAid International policy brief highlights six reasons why soil carbon markets will not work for smallholders.
- There is no soil carbon market currently
- If there were a market, it would not provide revenues to Farmers
- The system will be biased against smallholders
- To sustain finance from an offset market, developed countries need to keep emitting
- Soil carbon markets are a distraction from addressing real adaptation needs and mobilizing real funding to support adaptation
- Soil carbon markets are a diversion from real obligations of rich countries: to reduce emissions and to provide substantial, stable, predictable, new and additional public finance