Head of Finance
Position: Head of Finance
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Salary: As per AAA Salary Scale
Period of Assignment: 1 Year with possibility of extension
ActionAid is an international organisation, working with over 25 million people in more than 40 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice. ActionAid in Afghanistan is part of the ActionAid International Federation and is one of ActionAid’s Country programmes working in Afghanistan since 2003.
The Context of the position:
The position exists to ensure the financial, management and legal integrity of AAI Afghanistan within the framework of the policies and procedures established internationally and the requirements of local and international law are adhered to and complied with. The position is also to provide strategic financial management direction of AAI Afghanistan to help ensure that AAI Afghanistan overall strategic objectives are met and ensure the continual improvement in monitoring, control and reporting of expenditure of partner NGOs of funds given by ActionAid International. This position also manages the admin and logistics units of the country program
- Contibute to the development and achievement of the AA Afghanistan’s strategic objectives as a Senior Management team member
System Development, Update and Compliance:
- Review and ensure that all organisational policies and procedures in related fields country office level to ensure the compliance with AAI International standards and local relevant laws and regulations, and reflect the needs and objectives of the organisation and staff
- Recommend to the CDs any changes that might be required to develop or improve the organisation in finance – admin and logistics areas of responsibilities
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that correct procedures are followed by managers and staff
- Participate in the review and update of finance ActionAid policies and procedures at country level and advises the SMT on the potential implications of the new system, policies and procedures
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that correct procedures are followed by staff under supervision
- Adhere/ Comply with approved organisational policies and procedures
- Strengthen system for Finance and Programme staff to monitor progress in the implementation of institutional projects and tracking resource utilization
- Ensure compliance to AA policies; donor requirement and local law
- Updates finance policy on regular basis and as there is change in global FMF or law of the land.
- Design, update and implement forms/ templates/ procedures/chart of accounts in line with financial policy and law of land as well as donors’ requirements.
- Update, maintain and backup the accounting software as per schedule and guidance from IS system team.
- Reconcile/review the Balance Sheet items at the end of period.
- Ensure that the filing systems (soft and hard) are created and maintained and could be easily accessed and referred to.
- Ensure the taxes/ compulsory deductions are withheld and paid within the time frame as per local law.
- Manage the cash flow process including cash flow planning; cash requirement and disbursement with AAI, partners and donors.
- Making sure that there is sufficient cash for activity at any time but within the cash balance policy.
- Check compliance to procurement policies.
- Review contract with suppliers to make sure that term and conditions on finance are in line with policy/practice.
- Set the budget exchange rate toward reducing the negative impact of the exchange rate fluctuation.
- Ensure the assets held in other currencies are re-evaluated periodically to reflect the market rates.
- Assess partner’s financial system for selection.
- Ensure that in the Agreement with partner, there is section on financial management.
- Review financial reports of partners and do periodically financial monitoring of partner.
- Provide training to partner on financial management.
Annual Planning and budgeting:
- Provide Guidelines on financial planning process to related staff.
- Coordinate income allocation process as per national RAF.
- Design budget templates for use by AA and partners.
- Budget review (accuracy; in line with cost norms and the guidelines).
- Consolidation of financial planning and submit to IS for review and endorsement/approval.
- Upload approved budget into accounting system before commencing the new financial year.
- Do the half year forecast or when there is significant change that requires budget revision.
- Manage the budget of Finance Department.
Monitoring and Evaluation and Reporting:
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual reports as per guidelines and deadlines set by IS finance.
- Prepare and submit financial report as per statutory requirement.
- Design, print out, distribute monthly Management Accounts and coordinate the Variance Analysis process
- Provide financial analysis and reports for National Board to make strategic decisions.
- Produce financial analysis for overall M&E processes (e.g. PRRP; Midterm review; CSP review etc.)
Audit and risk management:
- Draft the ToR for external audit.
- Make sure that reports are available for audit as agreed audit schedule.
- Coordinate process of providing initial responses to auditor’s recommendation to CD for review and finalize.
- Coordinate the Risk Register development process and update it on quarterly basis.
- Assess risks associated with long term financial plan.
- Ensure an enabling environment for staff performance, recognition and reward of finance function to encourage staff productivity, innovation and performance (e.g. facilities, equipment, duty facilitation, team building etc.)
- Directs and controls the staff of the function to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and trained to carry out their responsibilities to the required standards
- Involves in recruitment of staff under supervision
- Provides induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice to supervised staff to ensure that they understand and carry out their responsibilities effectively
- Assigns performance objectives and conducts comprehensive performance appraisal of supervised staff and provides / obtains feedback when necessary to supervised staff
- Works with HR Function to identify training needs and development opportunities for supervised staff
- Provides financial management training to all staff in ActionAid Afghanistan and partner organisation when required.
- Promotes a healthy work culture among the staff
Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance and accounting management is required. Master degree or Professional Accounting or Financial Management Qualification such as ACCA, CPA are preferable.
Experience (Number of Years and field of expertise):
- A minimum of 7 years relevant experience in a reputed organization, preferably in the NGO sector and 5 years of which should be in senior management position.
- Proven experience in analysing financial reports and plans, and drawing insight for use by management and different donors
- Proven experience in developing, implementing and monitoring finance and administration policy, systems and procedures
- Familiar with development and human right issues in the country
- Thorough understanding of international finance and accounting systems
- Knowledge of/and or experience of the Not For Profit, NGO and/or Development sectors
- Very good knowledge of computerized accounting packages, Excel. Knowledge of databases and SUN, VISION & TM1 system is an advantage.
- Leadership and management
- Strategic thinking
- Financial reporting, analysis and management
- Excellent analytical and risk management skills
- High degree of Analytical skills
- Planning, organisation, time management, and coordination
- Fluency in written and spoken English and native / national language
If you have the expertise to take on this exciting opportunity, please apply online by sending your CV and motivation cover letter to email@example.com by before 5 PM Kabul Time on November 18, 2019. Please clearly indicate HoF-AAA-664 in the subject of your email. Due to the urgency in filling in the position, ActionAid Afghanistan will review the applications on an ongoing basis, thus applicants are strongly advised to make applications at the earliest.
ActionAid International welcomes applications from all sections of the community and promotes diversity. Although all applications will be considered on their individual merit, suitably qualified women candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. ActionAid International will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.